Monday, June 8, 2009

Glamorate: 2009 Tony Awards Red Carpet

The Tony gowns were for the most part tasteful and pretty standard fare. I missed ebullient host Hugh Jackman, but I thought Neil Patrick Harris can be proud of the show. Billy Elliot was the night's big winner; Angela Lansbury won for Blithe Spirit (see, told you to go see it); Liza Minnelli made just about everyone all tingly with her sheer presence; and the show ran only a few minutes over!

Now for "Glamorate It" — I kept the thumbnails smallish for expediency, so "clicken to embiggen", as they say in Munchkinland.


Anne Hathaway looked stunning in this Oscar de la Renta confection. I'm not looking forward to seeing her shake her spear in Twelfth Night in the Park, but her fashion sense is impeccable.




Alice Ripley's acceptance speech for her win in the manic depressive musical Next to Normal was... manic, but her dress was a bold choice.




Jane Fonda is 71. She looks amazing!




Marcia Gay Harden won a Tony for her stellar performance in God of Carnage. She looks quite gorgeous in this emerald green pleated mermaid gown.




Haydn Gwynne, who was nominated for Billy Elliot, chose an excellent color and style for her.




Gina Gershon, who was unquestionably brilliant in last year's Boeing, Boeing, chose a dress that is a replica, in black, of William Travilla's 1953 gold dress for Marilyn Monroe. I wonder if she knew that. Her hair is a bit reminiscent of Julia Roberts' 2001 Oscar hair, but I don't think it works for her.




Josefina Scaglione, Maria of West Side Story, chose a column dress that is very classic, in a beautiful emerald green. However, you know I'm almost allergic to chiffon — chiffon just makes me think "bridesmaid".




Karen Olivo, who won a Tony for her turn as Anita in West Side Story, really showed off her curves to advantage, but the formality of the black kept it from crossing the line. What a beautiful woman.




I like Lauren Graham, but choosing her for Adelaide in Guys and Dolls was a strange choice — not as strange a choice as the HORRID color of this dress.




Bebe Neuwirth, of Chicago fame, looked somewhat... not great. I don't know if it's the poorly falling chiffon, the light underlayer, or that ghastly flower at the waist, but this look does not work for me.




Allison Janney, who is starring in Dolly Parton's 9 to 5 musical, looks great here. The color is fabulous for her and her hair is the best I've ever seen it.




Jessica Lange, who hasn't done a Broadway show since 2005, boldly went for fuchsia, and it worked for her. I wasn't entirely crazy about the ruffles, but I'm a notorious "ruffle-hater".




Edie Falco hasn't done a Broadway show since 2004; her new show, Nurse Jackie, is starting today on TV. I found the hair on the severe side, but the teal really became her. I'm not sure about those sleeves though... it's like they couldn't commit — are we straps, are we sleeves, what are we?




Chandra Wilson, who joins the cast of Chicago today, chose an emerald green goddess gown trimmed with silver. A bit on the costume-y side, but this is Broadway, after all. She looked radiant.




Kristin Chenoweth, the original Glinda in Wicked, did not make an appearance on the red carpet, but she looked stunning when she came to announce an award in this burn-out velvet overlay gown in sapphire blue and black.



Photos: WireImage
 

5 comments:

WendyB said...

A lot of great-looking ladies. I'm particularly impressed by Jane.

G.G. said...

I know! 71!

martha said...

Is that Anne Hathaway's thigh showing through her skirt? I'm not sure what I think about that, but otherwise it's really a beautiful dress.

G.G. said...

Yes, it is, Martha. The skirt part of the dress affords glimpses -- one has to be very comfortable with one's thighs to wear that one :D

aiya said...

Office 2010is powerful!Microsoft Office 2010is the best software in the world.Microsoft wordis so great!Office 2007makes life great!Many people likeMicrosoft Office.
Microsoft Office 2007is welcomed by the whole world. Office 2007 keyis available here.Office 2007 downloadis on sale now!
Office 2007 Professionalbring me so much convenience.Outlook 2010 make life wonderful!
Microsoft outlook is my love.Microsoft outlook 2010 is convenient!Windows 7 is convenient!