Monday, June 1, 2009

Apologies and Explanations


I know. I can't just come back out of nowhere and not explain where I've been and why I haven't blogged for nearly three months. I've received so many emails from you, and I thank you for your lovely notes. I apologize for just disappearing and worrying you. The reasons for my absence are many, but burnout and business and a bit of depression are the main reasons.

It all started with my grandmother, with whom I was very close and who, to me, had always been the ultimate glam girl, passing away. The first heels I ever walked in were my grandmother's spiky black cutout stilettos from the 1950s. The first dress I fell in love with was my grandmother's gold brocade dress from the 1960s. My grandmother was beautiful, inside and out. She had great fashion sense and was always very polished. In the last few years, even with Alzheimer's disease at an old people's home, her first concern was always that her hair be neatly combed. I used to scour the planet looking for dresses and housecoats for her that would be easy to put on, comfortable, and still beautiful. No shapeless polyester creations for my grandmother. I would shorten the sleeves on her nightdresses to elbow length — she didn't like long-sleeved, but was very firm about hiding her upper arms. She loved color, wasn't afraid to try anything new, loved to travel and to cook, and to go to the theatre and concerts. I miss her every single day. Her death somehow robbed me of the joy of writing the blog. I needed time off.

There were lesser things as well: moving (always very stressful), my parents visiting for a few weeks (even more stressful), and having lots of "real work" drop on my lap that required a lot of my time and most of my energy.

Once I stopped writing on the blog, it became harder and harder to restart, the more time passed by. I'm feeling much more serene and less burned out, so I'd like to come back, if you'll have me :)

Love,
G.G.


Image: Film Fun magazine cover art by Enoch Bolles, June 1940, featuring Clara Bow.

17 comments:

Kimberley said...

I'm happy you're back and sorry for your loss. Your grandmother sounds beautiful and inspiring, it must be where you get it.

City Girl said...

I am so sorry for your loss. Your grandmother sounds wonderful.

I am glad you took as much time as needed. Of course we are all excited to have you back.

WendyB said...

Love how your grandmother was particular about her sleeves. Sounds like she was a special lady. Welcome back!

Chevalier said...

Grandmothers are all the most special human beings. Yours sounds like a great lady - I'm sorry for your loss.

And yes, welcome back! We can't have enough of you.

funnyface said...

We've missed you!!! My condolences, I fully understand your pain, felt that way when I lost my grandfather, even though i didn't wear his clothes or anything he was the perfect gentleman, a man I think no man will ever measure up to.

PumpkintheCat said...

That's very sad news about your nana. She sounds like my type of woman - practical AND gorgeous! Glad to hear you've made it through all these stressful events in your recent life and have come back to us. We've really missed you. x

lee ashley said...

So, so sorry to hear about your loss. Thank you for sharing your wonderful memories...your grandmother sounds like a special lady. It's always hard to deal with such a loss, especially when life hands you more difficulties.

Welcome back. xoxo

Black Pearl Girl said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Black Pearl Girl said...

So sorry about your loss, and so glad to have you back. Losing a grandmother is one of the hardest things, but is the memories of the little things that will get you through.

I'm happy you found your way back to us!

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry! It must have been really difficult!
Of course, we'll take you back! lol, we insist!

G.G. said...

Thank you, my darlings <3

Lydia said...

so sorry for your loss...i still miss my grandma and her sister every day. some people just never leave your heart....
glad to have you back!

Shopaholic D said...

*welcoming you back with open arms*

:) D

Pennie said...

Dear G.G.:

I know I write 3 days late but I couldn't access to my computer during those days...
I know you will not remember this post tomorrow nor my read this but the hope that you will I write..

I completely understand you and want you to know how you feel. My great uncle passed away months ago and it was harder than anybody could ever imagine. He made me love little pleasures of life such as "old" movies with stars such as Katherine Hepburn, Audrey Hepburn or Marilyn Monroe...

Those movies with such wonderful beauty icons made me start to love the marvelous world of fashion. Those actresses have been my role model in many ways. But when I saw your blog and started to read it you also started to be a role model in a certain way...

I know your grandmother, whom I obviously did not know, would be proud that you still write about the passion you both shared and she will be looking after you always....

Thank you so much for having such a wonderful blog =)

--Penelope Louise J.

Alya said...

I'm so sorry for your loss. This is life I guess, and no matter what people say to make you feel better, ultimately, you're the one who can pick yourself up and start living life again.

It's great you decided to come back. We need our dose of glamour!

B. said...

Welcome back, G.G!

aiya said...

Office 2010is powerful!Microsoft Office 2010is the best software in the world.Microsoft wordis so great!Office 2007makes life great!Many people likeMicrosoft Office.
Microsoft Office 2007is welcomed by the whole world. Office 2007 keyis available here.Office 2007 downloadis on sale now!
Office 2007 Professionalbring me so much convenience.Outlook 2010 make life wonderful!
Microsoft outlook is my love.Microsoft outlook 2010 is convenient!Windows 7 is convenient!