Sunday, February 15, 2009

Fall 2009 Fashion Runways: Jason Wu

Jason Wu cited a children's story book, illustrated by the famed Arthur Rackham, as the inspiration for his Fall 2009 collection. I find this curious because, with a few exceptions, there was little fairy tale present. In terms of time periods, the styles ranged from the early 1920s to the early 1960s. The materials covered everything from chiffon to tweed, and colorwise the palette was subdued blacks, navy blues, and grays, with a few pops of olivy yellow, one burgundy top, one red number, and one light steel blue top. In all, the collection was not, I felt, cohesive. That said, there were great individual pieces in the collection. I think Wu is still solidifying as a designer and I have great hopes for his future collections.

The sashaying 20s 'It' girl. Bravo!

Lovely reinvention of the flapper dress, with a modern neckline.

Very Carole Lombard in the mid 1930s, modernized by the use of yellow silk.

1940s tweed sheath dress with lace rose sleeves. I thought this was the standout of the show.

Frida Kahlo meets 1940s pinup girl. Not entirely successful, in my opinion.

The skirt is gorgeous.

I like both the top and the waterdrop skirt, but stylistically this references the rest of the collection only marginally.

This silver-flecked tulle number, I'm assuming, is one of the "fairytale" dresses. Blah, IMHO.

Ugh Moments:

I delight in ostrich at times, but the top and bottom of this garment do not speak to each other in the slightest. The top is too severe and, all in all, the impression this leaves is disquieting.

Not even coats in the Great Depression were this depressing! There is no form to this brown sack. I wouldn't wear this coat if it cost $20, let alone pay designer prices for it. Astoundingly bad. Wu needs to learn to edit false alarms like this one out of his shows.

Collection Colors:

For the complete collection, visit

Photos: Marcio Madeira /


WendyB said...

I could see myself in the tweed sheath.

Cafe Fashionista said...

I want the skirt in the sixth picture.