Thursday, August 7, 2008

TCM Summer Under The Stars: Greta Garbo

Turner Classic Movies Summer Under the Stars festival features a different movie star each day — a star's major films and documentaries are presented, so don't miss out. Today's star is none other than one of the original Glamour Girls, Greta Garbo. If you're home, grab a bag of popcorn. If you won't have time to watch today, these are the ones I'd suggest you DVR or TiVo:

Queen Christina (1933):
I first saw this movie when I was 11 and I thought it the most romantic film I had ever seen. It tells the story of the Renaissance Queen of Sweden, Queen Christina. One of Garbo's finest acting performances, a great script, and the costumes! RenFaire enthusiasts watch out!

Anna Karenina (1935)
Tolstoy's tale of tragic romance is brought to screen perfection in this film. A Russian married noblewoman falls in love extramaritally and trouble arises. Garbo and all her costars are well-nigh flawless. Again, costumes to admire.

Camille (1936)
Based on Alexandre Dumas, the Younger's novel, La Dame aux Camélias, about a courtesan who falls in love with a young nobleman. Garbo was never more beautiful. I would give an arm and a leg for one of the dresses in this film.

Ninotchka (1939)
The movie tagged with the line, "Garbo laughs!" (after reading the descriptions for the previous movies, you can understand how unusual this was). Garbo was a surprisingly agile comedienne, as this Ernst Lubitch comedy proves. In the film, she is a Russian agent sent to Paris to bring 3 wayward comrades back to the fold. But does Paris end up seducing Ninotchka as well? No costumes to watch out for as such in this film, but it stands the test of time as a great comedy. You'll laugh right along with Garbo.

I'll keep you posted on the Glamour Girls coming up next, or you can see for yourself at There's also a sweepstakes on the site and we all love those :)

Happy movie-watching!


shoeaddict said...

I will be sure to watch/DVR. I am a Bette Davis fan but would love to see some Garbo.

Bethany said...

I caught a few moments of Anna Karenina today.

G.G. said...

I watched Queen Christina (which was still the bomb), watched a bit of Anna Karenina, but it's so sad that it was making me miserable so I stopped, and I DVR'd the rest. Garbo had unbelievable screen presence!

I love Bette Davis too, but can you believe it, their month-long series doesn't feature Bette and even more spectacularly, NO MARILYN?! Weeeeird.

Anonymous said...

Garbo is soooooo Divine!

Bette is the grande damn.

IMHO, Jean Harlow outshines Marilyn, especially as an actress. So sad she died so young, 26! She was truly great.