Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Getting Scentimental: 5 Glam Perfumes


I had to wait 30 mins for passport photos today (what's with that!) so of course I spent the time (wisely) at Sephora. I had an enthusiastic assistant who danced ahead of me, spraying fragrances on those little scent sticks and making sample sprays of the ones I liked especially.

I'm very picky about scents to begin with and I absolutely have to live with a perfume for a day or two before I know if it's "me", plus my skin tends to turn every fragrance sweeter after the first half hour.

Viktor & Rolf 'Flowerbomb' is my staple right now, but I like to wear different perfumes depending on my mood (and my activities on a given day), so one perfume at a time will not do. Here are the 5 perfumes I liked best:


Burberry The Beat is a vibrant, preppy scent that exudes youthful self-confidence. This would be perfect for those go-go-go days when there's a million things to do — just wearing it would give me energy I think. It's a city scent that's at once modern and clean as well as having a warm, sunny edge.

Notes:
Bergamot, Cardamom, Pink Pepper, Mandarin, Bluebell, Iris, Ceylon Tea, White Musk, Vetiver, Cedarwood.



Escada Moon Sparkle is an exciting, gorgeous scent. At first I thought, "why did they name it sparkle, how dorky", but the scent really is sparkly in the sense that it is new, unexpected, happy, and magical all wrapped into one. It's charismatic and sensuous without being overbearing; a complex joyful scent. (Yeah, you can tell, I loved it).

Notes:
Strawberry, Blackcurrant, Citrus Cocktail, Raspberry, Red Apple, Rose, Sweet Pea, Freesia, Jasmine, Musky Notes, Sandalwood, Dry Amber.



Masaki/Masaki by Masakï Matsushïma is an elegant, refined perfume. Subtly alluring, it whispers sophistication. If you could mix the breeze off Mt. Fuji with the fall of leaves in Paris, that would be this perfume. This perfume is so chic I don't know that I could pull it off without being dressed in an haute couture gown. Some day, I want to be the woman whose signature scent this is.

Notes:
Litchi, Fuji Apple, Magnolia, Watermelon, Sakura, Angel Face Rose, Passion Fruit, Raspberry, Patchouli, Crystal Musk, White Cedar Wood.



Kenzo Peace Vintage Edition is their 20th Anniversary celebration perfume. If a perfume can smell of a color, then this embodies purple. It's like a soft summer night with a sense of mystery: a warm, comfortable and sultry scent, without being overpowering.

Notes:
Tonka Bean, Vanilla, Heliotrope Flower, Mandarin, Cedar Wood, Musk.



Versace Versace is a ladylike tender floral perfume, surprisingly soft and elegant compared to other Versace perfumes which, though I love, often pack a lot of punch. This one made me wish I were a bride, it fairly murmurs of silks and satins and champagne.

Notes:
Living Dew Drops, Icy Black Currant, Purple Wisteria, White Lilac, Lotus Flower, iving Orchid, Angel White Jasmine, White Lights Azalea, Snowbird Azalea, Musks, Cedar, Cashmirwood, Amberwoods.


Put these on your shortlist for perfumes to sniff next time you're out and about. If you live where trying is impossible and you have to order blind, I'd say if you like preppy go for the Burberry, if you like fruity/happy go for the Escada, if you like sophisticated, go for the Masakï.
 

6 comments:

Worthington said...

i love THE BEAT! I first "sniffed" it in I think the April issue of Lucky (or Marie Claire?) and the BF was in love with it too! I am hoping this Sunday I get it for one of my bday presents from him...

My everyday scent is Ralph Lauren's Lauren Style. It's the square clear glass bottle with the pink fragrance. I <3 it - have you tried that one?

xo

shoeaddict said...

Hey GiGi!
Hope your week is busy but fabulous. I love perfume. Have you tried Chloe? Right now, I have about three in rotation. I'm def gonna smell those you recommended though.

Bethany said...

I prefer Coach, Burberry Brit, and Versace Woman. It's funny that you posted this because I'm at the moment trying to find a new scent. I'll try the Versace perfume next time I'm out. Sounds pretty!

Oh, and by the way, if you go to LuckyScent.com, they sell fabulous rare perfumes AND you can buy samples!

VIVI said...

You have to smell:
BLUE MEDITERRANIAN
Mandorlo di Sicilia
by AQUA DI PARMA
Perfect for summer
Kisses
Vivi

VIVI said...

You have to smell:
BLUE MEDITERRANIAN
Mandorlo di Sicilia
by AQUA DI PARMA
Perfect for summer
Kisses
Vivi

Naima said...

Sephora is one of my favorite for branded perfumes with discount through online coupons.