Sunday, June 1, 2008

Glam Review: Sex and the City Movie


As everyone and their cousin knows, the Sex and the City movie opened on May 30. I think most of us had really high hopes as well as really high fears — I know I, for one, entered the theater with trepidation. How could the movie possibly be as good as we wanted it to be? Right?

Since we have Glam Girls around the world, not all of whom are able to see the movie this weekend, I can't really say much in order not to spoil it. Let's just say that it didn't let me down. It was like revisiting old friends whom you haven't seen in a while, but with whom you hit it off again right away, like it was only yesterday you last met. The movie is extremely well written — the characters are older, perhaps wiser, but still all themselves. There are Manolos and designer creations, outfits put together by Patricia Field, a cute (though not very subtle) plug for Bag Borrow or Steal, and a closet to-die-for. It also includes love (and the joys and vexations thereof) aplenty, and the friendship of women that carries us through it all.

I'm a hard judge when it comes to movies I've had almost a year to build expectations of. Seriously, I braced myself going in, telling myself to be prepared for a world-class let-down. Well, no need. This movie delivered in every aspect, on all cylinders. So, if you haven't seen it yet, brave the crowds. It's funny, heart-warming, and wise — it's fabulous.

xoxo, GG

9 comments:

Lydia said...

I think I'll have to go while my son is at daycare...I don't know how long I can wait to see this!

Chevalier said...

I LOVED the movie, much much more than any one episode of the show. Can we ask you about specific outfits? E.g. Samantha's yellow jacket at the auction?

Lys said...

I loved the movie, found the fashion quirky yet inspirational and you were absolutely correct where you said it was like revisiting old friends.

WendyB said...

Believe it or not, my husband dragged me to the movie yesterday. Considering it was written and directed by a guy who was intimately involved in the series, I felt he'd lost touch with them. It was like someone else had written it and was like, "Okay, these girls care about designer names and BFs." While designers played a big role in the series, I felt it was more natural there. Here it was like a big nonstop shout-out product placement thing. And I was bored by several of the subplots and digressions (why did we need to see that fashion show? It did nothing for the story). However, I felt the chemistry between the women was still there. And the big plot point/emotional scene was excellent and almost worth the whole movie.

KT said...

I thought the movie was awesome. I left feeling so good about the way everything wrapped up. Have you seen the reports on the financial success of the movie?
http://movies.yahoo.com/mv/news/ap/20080601/121235352000.html
The movie is a success in every way!

Anonymous said...

i loved the movie too and im so glad that you did!

VIVI said...

This movie will not be played in Spain until de end of June, we will have to wait a little bit more.
Kisses
Vivi

Elisabeth said...

Damn; I really need to get my butt to the cinema and see this before it's too late!

LMS said...

I live in Portugal but I was in London on May 29 and SATC was already there so.... I had to go and see it (even though I was on vacations with so many things to see there!!)!!!
I really loved it... it was amazing!
Congratulations for the blogue!! It's one of my favorites!!!