Friday, May 16, 2008

America's Next Top Model Cycle 10 Winner *SPOILER*

I wanted to write about this the moment it happened, but wanted to wait just a little, so as not to spoil it for those who had DVR'd or TiVo'd it. By now, however, I'm thinking everyone knows.


Whitney Thompson was proclaimed "America's Next Top Model" on Wednesday night — she is the first full-figured model to hold the title. Although Anya was my personal favorite, I couldn't be happier for Whitney. Anya will have an amazing career in modeling despite coming second; for Whitney, and other full-figured models, this opens doors which otherwise would have been harder to push through.


The message to the fashion world is clear: America and the world are ready to see models of varying sizes, not just women sizes 0-2. Just like Tyra said, Whitney's only "plus sized" in the fashion industry — on the street she's "just a hot chick." Whitney's dress size varies between 8 and 10, whereas the average American woman is a size 12.



In an interview with the New York Post yesterday, Whitney said:

"People always say you have to be stick-skinny, emaciated and unhealthy and I've kind of stood up for [being full-figured] my whole life."

"I'm not going to lose 50 pounds - if someone asks me to do that, I'll go to another agency."

"I've already heard online from boys and girls all over the world who are dealing with eating disorders. They're thanking me for standing up and saying, 'I am a plus-size model and I am beautiful.'"

"This is what people should look like, rather than skin-and-bones, which is disgusting and sends a bad message to people everywhere."


Congratulations, Whitney!


Photos: CWTV.com.
Tyra Banks quoted from the TV program.
Whitney Thompson quoted from The New York Post
 

6 comments:

Lady K said...

This cycle has not aired in the UK, but I don't care I will still watch it all. Glad to see that at last a plus size girl has won

Lydia said...

Is anyone else out there bothered that someone who is a HEALTHY size 8 or 10 is labeled as FULL FIGURED?!

I AM!!

GOOD FOR HER!! GO WHITNEY!

UBRINGMEJOI said...

she looks great but the bad part is that in the pics she does not look plus size at all. . . weird!

Anonymous said...

Whitney may be attractive and opened the gate for the full-figured, but 1) she doesn't really look like the real "full-figure" lady and 2) she needs to get off of that "Am I pretty?" kick. She was ridiculous about being pretty and was extremely conceited. That attitude made her less attractive. It was a turn-off.

Anonymous said...

Anya should have won, mainly because she has a beautiful personality to go with her unique look.

Anonymous said...

Is not that she looks plus size or not. Is that all the women over the size 2 are consider plus size, and what does that means? that we are fat? It doesn't have to be like that and I like that she wons because she is here to show everyone that all size women are beautiful, while they are HEALTHY.