Wednesday, April 16, 2008

Glam Chick Lit: Sophie Kinsella's "Remember Me?"

I doubt I have to tell you who Sophie Kinsella is, am I right? The author of the Shopaholic books which started with Confessions of a Shopaholic (original UK title: The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic) and saw its latest addition last year with the fifth book, Shopaholic and Baby. If you haven't read the Shopaholic books, I suggest you read them pronto, before the Shopaholic Movie comes out.

Sophie Kinsella's latest book, Remember Me? came out a few weeks ago and being the rabid fan that I am, I bought it immediately and read it over a two-day period on a little jaunt to Texas. As all other Kinsella books it was eminently readable and likable — the kind of book you want to devour in as few sittings as possible.

Quick Plot Teaser: Lexi Smart wakes up in a London hospital, after what she thought was a tipsy night of clubbing with her girlfriends. She's in for quite a shock, however, because when she looks in the mirror, she barely recognizes herself — her skin is perfect, her hair sleek, her nails look freshly manicured, and her teeth could dazzle a Hollywood movie star, and her body is to-die-for. The nurse brings in a Louis Vuitton handbag and insists it is Lexi's, but she doesn't understand how any of this could be.

Lexi remembers being a frumpy 25 year-old with a low-level job with few prospects, with a loser of a boyfriend. Turns out, she is 28, has a high-powered and high-paying job, a rich and handsome husband, and anything she thought she could ever dream of. Time-travel? Alternate reality? No. She has been in a car accident and has lost 3 years of her memories. Among the memories she has lost are the answers to questions like, "How did I get this job", "Who is my husband", "Why do all my old friends hate me", and "Who is that gorgeous architect and why does he behave very familarly?"

The book is lovely, but it doesn't really stand out for me. The premise is a bit tired, what with the success of the movie "13 Going on 30" and the current TV show "Samantha Who?" The book in many respects is not memorable and doesn't stand out much in the sea of chick lit out there. However, what it does have going for it are Kinsella's fluid style, her ability to make you love her protagonists, and a geniality and wit which always keep you coming back for another Sophie Kinsella book.

Rating (in its genre): B+
 

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I am so glad you are back to blogging...I seriously missed this site! Thank you for the book review too :)

Liv Taylor said...

I love Kinsella's books!! It's so fun to read something that doesn't require a lot of thinking. I'm excited to get my hands on her latest!!