Saturday, January 26, 2008

Spring / Summer 2008 Trends: Retro Swimwear

Marilyn Monroe on the Beach,
Photographed by Sam Shaw

While F/W 2007 was all about pre-World War II, the spring and summer will move us firmly to the 1940s period. The 1940s and the early 1950s were prime pin-up girl years, and that will reflect not just in clothing, but in swimsuits as well.

My top picks from the ones for sale now:

MICHAEL Michael Kors
Shirred Tankini & Bottomicon
$164 Nordstrom

Juicy Couture
Beach Halter Swimdressicon
$164 Nordstrom

Heart Cinched Bandeau One-Piece
$38.50 dELiA*s

Solid Cinched Bandeau One-Piece
$38.50 dELiA*s

Lux Retro Gingham One Piece
$98 Urban Outfitters

Damsel Polka Dot One Piece
$98 Urban Outfitters

Lux Retro Solid One Piece
$88 Urban Outfitters

And for those Glam Girls young enough
to pull these off, you have to get these:

Heart-Shaped Glitter Sunglasses
$9.99 Targét

Runway images from


constant_drama said...

YES!!!! THE 1940es is BACK!! YES!!!

G.G. said...

Yeah, I'm with ya CD, YAY!

WendyB said...

Oh, how I love heart-shaped glasses!

G.G. said...

Me2! So very Sue Lyon from "Lolita". I dunno if I'm past the age where I can pull them off though. *le sigh*

Lydia said...

I LOVE LOVE LOVE the Michael Kohrs suit...did I mention I LOVE it?!

G.G. said...

Me too, very Marilyn. Does anyone else think the model looks like Rebecca Romijn?

Chic and Charming said...

Love these! I love Marilyn, she is the only person pictured who actually has thighs that touch!

Zoe said...

Wow I love these swimsuits! Retro bathing suits are so cool and I am happy that they are making a comeback!

Mrs X said...

I absolutely love the gingham one and the Michael Kors. Soo buying it for my 4th of July weekend in the Hamptons!

Ginevra M. said...

Loooove these suits! I'm so glad they're in this summer. Thank you for providing us with different price options, as usual!

brony said...

If you are looking forward to purchase sexy bikini and swimsuits at cheap rates online then is the ultimate bikini destination for you. A whole array of bikinis and swimsuits, starting from Barely String Bikini, Billabong Bikinis, Crystal Bikinis to Spring Break Bikinis and Tankini Swimsuits are available with us and as you buy swim suit or bikini from us, we ensure that the product is delivered to you at the earliest.

Anonymous said... has some really cute ones as well! These suits are very modest!