The Golden Globe nominations were announced a few hours ago in Los Angeles (pictures a bit later). I was delighted at some of the nominations:
* Best Motion Picture - Musical Or Comedy
* Tim Burton - Best Director - Motion Picture
* Johnny Depp - Best Performance by an Actor - Musical Or Comedy
* Helena Bonham Carter - Best Performance by an Actress - Musical or Comedy
* Best Motion Picture - Drama
* Joe Wright - Best Director - Motion Picture
* Keira Knightley - Best Performance by an Actress - Drama
* James McAvoy - Best Performance by an Actor - Drama
* Saoirse Ronan - Actress In A Supporting Role
* Amy Adams - Best Performance by an Actress - Musical or Comedy
Keira is not likely to win, being up against heavy hitters in her category: Cate Blanchett, Jodie Foster, Angelina Jolie, and Julie Christie. Same goes for McAvoy, up against George Clooney, Daniel Day-Lewis, Viggo Mortensen and Denzel Washington. Amy Adams and Helena Bonham Carter are up against Marion Cotillard, who will most likely take the Golden Globe for her portrayal of Edith Piaf in La Vie En Rose. Saoirse Ronan, though against tough competition from Julia Roberts, Tilda Swinton, and Cate Blanchett (who is also nominated in the supporting actress category), may have a chance.
The television categories weren't listed at the time of this posting. Will share my two cents on them later.
List of Nominations - GoldenGlobes.org
*Update: TV Noms are up now at IMDb — Ugly Betty, America Ferrera, The Tudors< and Jonathan Rhys Meyers among the nominees.
Golden Globes Announcement Pics: Hayden Panettiere, Ryan Reynolds, and Quentin Tarantino