Thursday, December 27, 2007

Glam Review: P.S. I Love You

My sister and I saw P.S. I Love You last night and it was every bit as good as I had hoped. How often can you say that of a movie nowadays?

I've never been a big Hilary Swank fan, but that changed yesterday. Her performance was excellent — she was likable and convincing, her face was transparent with emotions and I didn't feel for a moment she was "acting." She had great comedic timing in the "funny bits" and she tore my soul apart in the sad moments. I have to admit I was blown away, despite my reservations.

I didn't know Gerard Butler from Adam before this film, but I am notoriously weak to Irishmen [he plays an Irishman in the film, but is in fact Scottish IRL]. And O-M-G! I melted like a stick of butter from the first moment he appeared on screen. Boy, does this guy have a future as a heart-throb! He oozed casual, effortless charm and the scenes with Hilary Swank had great chemistry, warmth, and humor. You didn't need any suspension of disbelief to understand her devastation at the loss of him.

The supporting cast were generally solid, even though they did not get much play — Kathy Bates was stellar as always, and Harry Connick Jr. was perfect as the nicely rude bumbling bartender who carries a torch for Swank's character.

No movie can be great without an excellent script, which this movie certainly had. The dialogue was downright brilliant, especially in the scenes between Swank and Butler, and for once the screenwriters actually made a novel better instead of ruining it. I thought Ahern's novel was nice, but not much above mediocre, as far as chick lit goes, but the film was very good. The director managed to keep all the threads firmly together and to keep the tone deftly balanced, without ever letting the movie slip too much into pathos. I thought it could have been 15 mins shorter, but even as it was, I'd give it well-manicured thumbs up.

Verdict: A-

9 comments:

LADY said...

oh YAY! Because I have been DYING to see that and had high hopes for it.

Kaye said...

I've never even heard of the film before this post (I guess I'm just not very up to date with this whole movies business), so thanks for the heads up!

sisterfriend said...

FYI: Welcome to the world of those of us who already knew about Gerry Butler! FYI, Gerry is an Irishman only in the movie. He's really a Scot. If you want to know more about him (and us), go to www.gerardbutler.net.

P.S. Everyone go see this movie!!!!! :-)

G.G. said...

Oh I know he's a Scot -- had to check him out immediately -- you're right, the way I wrote that it made it sound like he was Irish IRL as well. Will fix it :) In the previous post on "PS I Love You" I expanded that I'm also notoriously weak for Scotsmen and Welshmen... and well, men in general, LOL :P

Laura said...

If you didn't know about Gerard, now you do!! My 14-year old daughter Shannon hooked me on him through "Phantom of the Opera." He sings well, he acts well, he's hot!! Even with half his face made to be ugly, you can't hide the fact that he's very good-looking.

janemcswain said...

I only learned of Gerry's existence this past spring when I caught him on late nite TV promoting 300. He was charming, sexy and very funny and I fell in love immediately, googled him and was astounded to learn that he was the Phantom! I soon rented or bought as many of his movies I could find. He is the only actor/movie star I've ever fallen for. At first I dreamed about him. He is toooo much!

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd inform those of you who never heard of Gerard Butler before that he has been around awhile and has a wonderfully large and well deserved, and well established fan base. Gerard is actually pronounced more like Jarod and he is actually both Scottish and Irish. He is also a living doll.

Anonymous said...

I forgot to mention if interested, check out just one of his fan sites at www.G.B.net and join in the fun.

Lady N said...

I was wondering abou this movie - I really want to see it because it looks cute, but I was afraid it would be too cheesy.