Thursday, November 15, 2007

Project Runway Chat (Season 1, Episode 1, Nov 14)

Pretty cool, the first episode, though a bit chaotic. Instead of the usual "weird materials" challenge Project Runway reserves for the first episode, this time the hopefuls got to attack three tents filled with $50,000 worth of fabrics from MOOD. They were told to show who they are as designers.


My favorite was Romi's gray evening gown (although I thought his model, Ashley, was barely middling). Also, poor choice of shoes for this gown.


I was very taken with Chris' aubergine and olive dress. Fabulous! He's a contender, if you ask me. His model, Marcia, didn't impress me one way or the other yet. I'm sure the accessories wall had shoes that would have done more for this dress.


Victorya's black mini dress was very chic, and her model Jacqueline did a good job on the runway. I liked her answer when Michael Kors pointed out that the model would not be able to raise her arms, and Michael had to conclude that yes, he knows women who would bleed as long as the dress looked good. Also, love these shoes.


Christian's skirt suit worked on the runway, but the fact that he winged the measurements and that the sleeves were uneven, as pointed out by Tim, turned me off. The judges may not have been able to see it, but the construction was not good enough. In addition, his inability to take criticism from Tim and his bitchy comments about the other contestants suggest to me that the maturity level is just not there yet.

The two weak links of the night were:

Elisa's:

If you ask me, Elisa has a bolt loose. She's a few needles short of a sewing kit, so to speak. Her dress was as crazy as her explanation of it, with a peacock rag train that almost broke her model's neck.

Simone's:

Simone's dress was hideous, but worse than that, her dress was constructed so poorly that it was obvious even from far off. Cobbled together by hand with bad stitching and crooked seams, and an eyesore to boot. I don't know how she got on the show in the first place, but she had to go.
 


Okay, enough from me. What did you think? Which dress was your fave from a design perspective? Which dress would you most want to wear? Did you feel the right person was voted off / won?
 

15 comments:

BLISS said...

some of the shoes ahem......aqua boots uhhhhh leave a litle to be desired but my fav 2 are the purple one and then the gray one.

G.G. said...

Yeah, the aqua boots were something else, heheh.

This Lady said...

my faves in order: gray dress, black mini, aubergine, skirt suit, Simone's dress.

But the one that i detested and felt i could never ever wear was the hideous turquoise disaster.

Elisa deserved to be booted off! In those same aqua/greenish suede ones her model wore!

The Clement Clan's Wife said...

my favorite was chris'! it was so glamorous!

in terms of who they let go, i think elisa really needed to be the one to go home. the other girl had poor quality but i think her concepts were better. elisa's was just plain ugly and indicating that she had no fashion sense at all!

Valley Girl said...

I like the purpose gown, but you're right, weird shoes. On someone else and with different footwear, it would've been gorg.

The black dress after that with the big flower was v. flapper chic, but I feel like we've seen this somewhere before. its not fresh.

The outfit after that with the ruffles was v. Vivienne Westwood-ish. I liked it! With some tweaking and tailoring, its something I could totally see Gwen Stefani wearing.

Valley Girl said...

Oops. Just read my post. I meant "purple" gown. Heheh.

Lyndsy said...

I couldn't agree more with your top two choices I loved them the most also. I am so glad PR is back :) Love the blog!

constant_drama said...

I have to agree with Valley Girl that the black mini is indeed chanelling some flapper vibe and therefore since I always believed that I would make a kickass flapper, I have to say that is my favourite. So what if I cant move my hands? Big deal. I still look pretty.

And as for the worst...what is up with "the school matron" dress thing right after the black mini? I went to an all-girls school and I'm having serious flashback of my headmistress. Not good.

Scratching-out-a-living said...

The long black dress of course. I liked the turquoise dress but only for the color not the design. The other choices were not my idea of chic or glamorus.

Hollywood said...

I was SO excited for the new season...I have been counting down the days! The outfits on the first episode weren't especially impressive, but it's a start. I did like Chris's puple gown, I'm surprised the judges didn't say more about it. But, I have to disagree with a few people because even though that turquoise disaster was a little out there, I appreciated her execution- it looked well made. However, the dress that Simone made was terrible. It had no personality (it was supposed to represent the designer!) and it was coming apart on the runway. Simone deserved to go home, it is, after all, a competition, and her dress just didn't measure up!

Kelly said...

Elisa's dress may have been well made, but would anyone ever put the thing on?! I think they only kept Elisa through this first episode because she will cause some drama, because her dress was awful! I think she was the obvious loser, and I bet she will be going home soon!

G.G. said...

I think you're right Valley Girl -- the black minidress reminds me of a dress Carrie wore on one episode of "Sex and the City".

I also agree with Kelly -- they might keep Elisa on just for the drama of it -- good for the ratings. I do hope they get rid of her soon, because something is just not right there....

fght ff yr pls said...

I think it was a close call between Simone and Elisa. I do think that Simone was the right choice, but I'm wondering if they only kept Elisa on the show just for kicks.

Angelia said...

I Hate Christians outfit! I thought it looked very unflattering. I actually liked Elises actual dress... slick and sexy, just that horrible train on it,, can u say yuk!!! Simones outfit just plain sucked and she did deserve to go... Hate Victoryas dress was ok... but I thought the flower on it looked like a wad of aluminum foil... love love love Chris's dress!!!!

Miss Halfway said...

I can't believe they actually liked Christian's outfit; I thought it was horrendous. I've been liking plaid lately, but...no. It didn't work. I loved Chris's dress, he actually shocked me! Every season there tends to be the few weaklings who can't seem to get it right, and I thought that he would be one this season, but I was wrong; he's on top of the game. There were a few other dresses whose designers' names escape me, but Chris rocked it [with the exception of the shoes].

Oh, and Elisa's dress looks like something my friend wore for Halloween.