Friday, October 5, 2007

Imitation is the Surest Form of Flattery: Or is It?

We've talked about this before, with the Emmy Awards Dress Knockoffs and the upcoming legislation protecting designers. I just wonder where they will draw the line — when does imitation become infringement? The reason I'm bringing this up is that I went to Urban Outfitters today and couldn't believe my eyes:


Kenneth Jay Lane
Green Apple Necklace
$100 $75 Max & Chloe


Green Apple Necklace
$24 Urban Outfitters

Kenneth Jay Lane
Red Strawberry Necklace
$112 Max & Chloe

Strawberry Necklace
$24.00 $14.99
Urban Outfitters

What do you think? When is close too close?
 

2 comments:

Valley Girl said...

Too close if you ask me. I considered buying the Kenneth Jay Lane pieces but decided against it when I saw they were being hawked at UO. Not worth the price (for KJL) if you ask me.

justme said...

I'd rather buy the UO( the apple one looks VERY close, the strawberry, not so much)....people think that KJL is "higher end" costume jewelry but honestly, its not that high end. The chains are electroplated with gold...I used to work in jewelry...electroplate means about the equivalent a 2 nail-polish coats of gold....not NEARLY enough to constitute $100

KJL is costume anyway...so why not buy 3 for the price of 1?