Tuesday, October 2, 2007

Cate Blanchett at Elizabeth: The Golden Age Premiere


Yesterday saw the Hollywood premiere of the much-anticipated sequel to Elizabeth. Cate Blanchett arrived to the premiere of Elizabeth: the Golden Age at the Gibson Amphitheater at Universal Studios in Hollywood, wearing a turquoise Grecian-inspired evening gown. If you ask me, she came in a toga. A beautiful toga in a lovely Venetian Blue which brings out her eyes, but a toga nonetheless.

I am a huge Cate Blanchett fan as an actor. I also think usually she looks the part of queen or goddess and has a very strong sense of style. However, although I think she can pull off even this look, I think she looks more like she's going to a premiere of The Trojan Women by Euripides, than a movie set in Renaissance England. Why show up as Hecuba, when you had all of this Fall's very statuesque and queenly movie star gowns to pick from?

I'm assuming this is Valentino, since Blanchett often picks him for the red carpet. Valentino also has a guilty history of doing the toga:


If anyone knows for certs the designer of Cate's gown, drop a line.

As for the styling of it:


I love her hair — that loose, twisted bun is gorgeous (take note, Mischa Barton). I like her makeup (although it could have been a tad stronger for the bright lights which tend to wash one out).

 

I am not crazy about those lucite sandals, period, less with this dress. With the metallic python trim on her gown, metallic pumps or sandals would have done the dress more justice. I think those earrings scream "Disco Queen, 1985."

Your turn, what do you think?



All Cate Blanchett pics from SuperiorPics. Jacqueline Kennedy Onassis / Jennifer Lopez in Valentino pics scanned from the Aug 2007 InStyle Magazine.

Technorati tags: |

 

2 comments:

Shopaholic D said...

Hey GG,

I agree w/ you - this look is ok. Love the hair...not so much the shoes. Looks like something I bought about 4 years ago that already went in and out of style. I think I donated mine a couple years ago...partially b/c they were "out"...partially b/c they weren't very comfortable.

:) D

G.G. said...

Hey D!

All I can think of is that she didn't want the shoes to detract attention from the dress, and this was as close to barefoot as one might get.

I personally hate PVC shoes (let's call a spade a spade - plastic), see-thru or no. Lucite I like for the heel, if the rest of the upper is either leather or satin.

This look wasn't exactly a bomb as such, but Cate has done so much better!