Saturday, September 22, 2007

The Shopaholic Movie: Isla Fisher Cast as Becky Bloomwood

Sophie Kinsella's Confessions of a Shopaholic (the original UK title was "The Secret Dreamworld of a Shopaholic") is one of my all-time favorite chick lit books. I also loved all its sequels, the best of which was perhaps "Shopaholic Takes Manhattan" (the UK title was "Shopaholic Abroad"). I think most of us shopaholics have read the books and love them dearly. If you haven't read them yet, no time like the present.

I was delighted when I read that they were making a movie of the first book. Now, I'm simply baffled: they're setting the movie in New York. Umm... is the script a combo of books 1 & 2? Furthermore, according to the Hollywood Reporter, she "becomes a financial advice columnist"... In the book she was a financial analyst long before she was a shopaholic.

Filming starts January, with Isla Fisher (who played the crazy chick in "The Wedding Crashers") as Becky. Isla Fisher was born to Scottish parents in the country of Oman, raised in Australia, and now lives in England. What accent is she going to have in the film? Is Becky still going to be English or are they going to make her American?

Just thinking about it all is making my head hurt. What if they do to this lovely book what the second Bridget Jones movie did to Bridget (that is, slaughter it — the first movie was brilliant)? I guess we'll see. But, what do you think of Isla Fisher as Becky Bloomwood?

2 comments:

kyuchin83 said...

she better do a darn good job!! this is my (and my mates) all time favorite book in the world! my dreams will be shattered if she doesnt paly it right! i say kate hudson or jennifer garner would play an awesome becky!

Anonymous said...

I don't see her as Becky! I LOVE all of Sophie's Books but am really upset that they are changing perfection! Becky is from England. I love her using British terminology-it won't be the same! So sad!