Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Gorjana Interview and Jewelry Sweepstakes

You have undoubtedly seen Gorjana jewelry. Gorjana jewelry is frequently displayed on the pages of magazines such as InStyle, and her elegant pieces are celebrity favorites; from the hoop earrings favored by Mandy Moore and Hayden Panettiere, to the graceful necklaces adored by Paris Hilton and Mischa Barton, to name but a few.

Each piece of Gorjana jewelry is handmade from gold vermeil and silver, each design element carefully thought out; from the hammered detailing of the Lock & Key Cuff, to the embossed detail and cutout work of the Flutter Ring. The pieces manage to capture a timeless elegance while remaining youthful and modern in their design.


 
 
Gorjana Jewelry is available at shopbop.com

When I fall in love with a designer's work, I long to know more of the story behind the creations and the artist herself. I was delighted when Gorjana agreed to an interview.


Q. How old were you when you made your first piece of jewelry? What was it? Who has it now?
G. I was five years old and I made a bracelet out of buttons and yarn. I actually still have it.

Q. Your family moved to North America from Yugoslavia when you were 7 years old. How did your early childhood influence your development as an artist?
G. We moved so much while I was growing up, and to such different places, that I was always adapting to the new environments around me. I gravitated towards art as a comfort and form of self expression. Creating things was really my hobby as a child.

Q. At 15, you were picked up by Ford Models. What was it like to be thrown in the midst of the fashion world so young? What was the biggest lesson you learned from that time?
G. It was very exciting to be exposed to the industry in my teens. It definitely seemed like a dream come true at the time. I learned a lot about fashion through modeling, but it did not give me the fulfillment I needed. I decided that I wanted to be doing something where I could express myself more and be creative.

Q. You left the world of modeling to attend college. Where did you go and what was your major?
G. I went to Arizona State University and majored in Marketing.

Q. How did the creation of your own jewelry label take place?
G. After college, I went to work for a jewelry designer for a few years. I really enjoyed the business and decided I wanted to create a line of my own that was contemporary but at an affordable price point. Essentially, something I wanted to buy and wear.

Q. Where do you find inspiration?
G. Everywhere really. People's personal styles inspire me the most.

Q. Would you say there is a philosophy behind your jewelry?
G. For me it is all about the details. I think a piece of jewelry is such a great form of self expression without being too overtly obvious.

Q. You have a fast-growing business, a husband, a four-pound Yorkie, and a beautiful baby. Has motherhood changed how you view fashion?

G. Yes, it has made me focus more on what is really important in life and what I really enjoy. It made me realize how much I love fashion, and not from a materialistic standpoint but from a creative one. I feel blessed that I am able to tap my creativity daily.

Q. What do you do for relaxation?

G. We love to go boating and to the beach on the weekends.

Q. What do you splurge on? What is your fashion indulgence?
G. I splurge on food, I absolutely love good restaurants. And I definitely indulge on shoes and handbags.

Q. What is the best advice you have ever received?
G. Pay attention to the details, they are small but they add up.

A warm thank-you to Gorjana for the interview and the G-Ring Necklace, which one lucky Glam Gal will win on September 30!



Sweepstakes Details:

What: A silver Gorjana G-Ring Necklace ($85 value)
When: Enter until September 30, 2007 11:59pm EST
How: Leave a comment on this post and tell us
about the first piece of jewelry you ever owned.
 

Check back for the winner on Monday, October 1, 2007. The necklace will be shipped directly to the winner from Gorjana Jewelry.

Good luck!
 
Note: orig. posted 9/7/07. Moving it up so folks don't miss it.

44 comments:

Sophia said...

hey GG,
thanks for letting me know about this wonderful sweepstake! :)
well if my memory serves me correct, i was given my first piece of jewelry by a friend of my parents in the states, when i was about 6 i guess? it was a silver chain bracelet with a large heart charm, much like the Tiffany's one. it looked really cool for a 6-year-old i must say! :)

Seraphine said...

I think my first jewelry was children's earrings. But the first jewelry that *was special*
was a friendship bracelet given to me by my mother. It was braided brown and white string with tiny colorful beads (strung on nylon) twisted through the braids. I got it for my 8th birthday. Around Christmas that year, the beads fell out when the nylon line broke. I found most of them, and I keep them still in a small box inside my jewelry box. The bracelet lasted more than a year before it fell off. I loved it dearly.

wanqing said...

fabulous interview!

G.G. said...

Sophia and Seraphine - great stories! Wanqing - Thanks :)

AllisonR said...

I HEART GORJANA! Of course...my first piece of jewelry was not as stylish as a piece of Gorjana art! My first item was given to me when I was born - an "Allison" necklace on a gold chain - just like Carrie from SATC! :) I still treasure it to this day!

String Anomaly said...

As of now I own no jewelry except for a wedding ring.

Kirsten said...

Cracker Jack ring. Yup. I loved it, too!

Elizabeth said...

My first piece of jewelry that I can remember was a strawberry shortcake necklace. I still have it and now my daughter likes to wear it. Thanks for the contest!

Cyndi said...

My grandfather game me a wonderful gold cross necklace when I was 7. I felt so special!

apatel said...

I was given a birthstone ring as a baby, but I don't really remember the event. I do remember, for my 13th birthday, my parents took me to a "real" jewelry store in the city and let me select a ring. I chose my birthstone and had it put in what turned out to be a gold engagement ring setting. I still have it and it still gets comments!

Anonymous said...

My girlfriend pierced my ears with an ice cube and a needle when I was 14 and after my dad got over the shock he took me out and bought me my first pair of earrings, beautiful jade ball studs. I loved those earrings.

Annette said...

A necklace with my inital as a pendant.

Jennifer said...

I don't remember my first piece, I know it was earrings...but I was only 9 months :)

Bradley said...

My first piece was a silver ring with a Celtic knotwork design that I bought for myself from EBay. Wore it for ~7 years until I got married and switched to a wedding band (1 finger over) instead.

vmkids said...

My mother gave me a necklace with a mustard seed in it.

redron said...

my first piece was a bracelet from New Mexico. It was silver and tourquoise

sillelin said...

I think my first was birthstone earrings, or a mustard seed necklace.

DePro said...

It was a pinky ring with a diamond so small that you had to squint to see it!

n2winning said...

It was a opal ring. I still have it after 35 years.

Sarah Stern said...

My first piece was when I was six. My older sister worked in a jewelry store and she bought me a charm that said Princess. I still have it!

Tammy said...

my first piece of jewelry was a St. Christopher medallion on a chain that my 7th grade boyfriend gave me. Lol, it turned my neck green.

cockneysparrow said...

My Grandmother gave me a heart shaped ring with my initial on it when I was about ten years old.

Tricia B. said...

That is a very nice piece of jewelry. The first piece of jewelry that I remember having is a watch that I asked for and received on my 13th birthday. It was a sterling silver cuff with flowers on the face. Beautiful!

Lesha said...

My first piece of jewelry was a heart shaped diamond ring that my mom bought me for Christmas when I was about 9 or 10.

Kim said...

i was given a small diamond ring at about age 8 that i can still wear on my pinky finger now

kohndr said...

My first jewelry was when I turned 13. My parents gave me a silver and ruby ring (my birthstone). I lost it when I was 16 and cried and cried. They ended up buying me a new ring since I was so attached to the old one.

joanna said...

my very first piece of jewelry was a dainty 14K gold cross with a tiny diamond set in the center of the cross. It was given to me by my godmother when I was baptized. I still have it and now my daughter wears it all the time.

redfantum said...

I had my ears pierced at 5 years old. As far as I know that was my first jewelry.

Molly Capel said...

My first piece of jewelry was probably my earrings.
-mcapel4444@aol.com

lisalmg said...

My first piece of jewelry was a pair of tiny diamond stud earrings. My aunt was visiting when I was 7 years old and she and my mom were talking. I remember looking at her sparkley diamond earrings and I told her they were really pretty. She took them out and said she would love for me to have them. I didn't have my ears pierced at that time so I kept them in a special box on my dresser until I got my ears pierced a few years later.

Tera said...

How about "life" as in this is life.

Kay said...

When I was 13 my mother bought me my first gold ring. I was so on cloud nine. You are very talented. Thanks for the chance to win.

Sarah said...

My first piece of jewelry was a birthstone baby ring from my grandparents. (An amethyst, set in gold . . . simple yet lovely.)

jules said...

My mom gave me an amethyst ring when I was 13, I wear it every day.

Lisa said...

Love it!

blday50 said...

My first piece of jewelry was a charm bracelet with a horse charm from my grandmother

Deb said...

My Mom gave me my first piece of jewelry. Earing's when I was about 2 months old.

Gemini Mama said...

My first jewelry was a pair of earrings. I was only a couple months old. The first piece of jewelry I remember getting is a jade ring and necklace from when my Aunt went to Alaska. I was probably 6 or 7 when I got those.

Traci Scott said...

My first piece of jewelry was form my brother when I was 5 and he was 17. He gave me one of those add a pearl necklaces. My brother died when I was 17 and I will always cherish that necklace.

Laura said...

My first piece of jewellery was a ring my mom and dad gave to me when I was a young teenager. It was blue with a white star in the middle of it and when the sun glistened on it the star got bigger but it "disappeared" and I sure miss it.

Michelle said...

very nice

Atreau said...

My ears were pierced as a baby so earrings were my first piece of jewelry.

Tiffany said...

My first piece of Jewelry was a saphire ring that My aunt gave me for confirmation. I still wear it today.

tanya a said...

the first jewelry I had were the post earrings from when you got them first. Remember? With the super thick posts? Ouch!