Thursday, July 12, 2007

Mary Poppins and Favorite Things English

Tonight my mom and I went to see Mary Poppins the Musical on Broadway. It was one of my favorite videos when I was little, so it's perhaps not surprising that I was disappointed with the production. For me, it just lacked some of the life and joy of the original, not to mention the fabulous performances of Julie Andrews and Dick Van Dyke. Still, we enjoyed it well enough.

Afterwards, we went to Sardi's, the famed restaurant on 44th Street (think Bette Davis and All About Eve), for dessert. We had Sardi's own specialty — Boccone Dolce. It is a delicate sweet with meringue, whipped cream, strawberries, and chocolate, perhaps 1 zillion calories, and worth every one. For an adapted recipe, see here.

After we got home I started thinking about when I lived in London and "my favorite things" (to quote another Julie Andrews musical, "The Sound of Music") that remind me of England. A few of them were:

Burberry Brit Red.
This perfume reminds me of London during hot
summer days: vibrant and classy, very English.

Asquith & Somerset Lily of the Valley Soap
This to me smells like the English countryside
in springtime — like poetry in soap form, you
can almost hear Wordsworth while showering.

Frank Cooper's Original Oxford Marmalade
Sweet and bitter at once, the connoisseur's marmalade.
The English have it on white toast slathered with butter.

McVities Milk Chocolate Hobnobs
Yummy wheat biscuits with a chocolate top, nothing
goes better with a nice cup of tea in the evening.

White Cotton Lace Nightgowns
These make me think of Pride and Prejudice and four-posters,
sisters whispering secrets to each other on summer nights.
These cotton nightgowns are sweet, all Victorian England.

I need to go to London for a bit, but have you seen the exchange rate at the moment? I'll wait till it sways a little more in our favor. Right now it's murder!


LADY said...

McVities! Me mum eats them all the time. I have very proper English parents, still drink tea every day! How long did you live there for? I miss it!

G.G. said...

I was there just for a semester exchange, but I go back at least once a year.